Computer Education & Training Courses
INTRODUCTION TO VISUAL BASIC
Visual Basic is the most widely used programming language for creating Windows applications. Why? Because it's easy to learn, and doesn't require you to memorize difficult commands like other programming languages. In this course, you'll learn how to write Windows applications and programs using the Visual Basic programming language and the Visual Basic development environment.
Creating a Windows application ordinarily requires you to write lengthy and complex code. But, as you'll see, the Visual Basic development environment relieves you of this task. Instead, it enables you to create the application program and its components literally with the click of a button or menu item. It even writes all of the necessary code to get the application started for you, which you can then view and fine-tune.
Over the course of 12 lessons, you'll learn the building blocks of programming, including using variables to store data, control structures, and loops. You'll find out how to use the large function library built into Visual Basic, including the .NET Framework, as well as how to write and use your own functions. You'll also see how to use Windows' large and varied library of controls and how to access files and handle errors. And since Windows applications are event-driven and everything in Visual Basic is treated as a programmable object, you'll learn about event-driven and object-oriented programmingâconcepts that are important not just in Visual Basic, but in other programming languages as well.
Course Revised May 2016REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.PRE-REQUISITES:
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College's Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges, Raleigh on October 15, 1993. The full refund policy is listed in the NC Administrative Code 23NCAC.2D.0203 (d) Brief Statement of Policy:
- A pre-registered extension student who officially withdraws from an extension class(es) prior to the first meeting of the class (should be 24 hours prior) will be eligible for a 100-percent refund by completing an official request form.
- The refund will be 75 percent if requested prior to the 10-percent date of the class(es) meeting.
- No refunds will be given after 10-percent of class meetings.
Registration can be achieved through the Learn FTCC website. When you submit your completed registration, you will receive an e-mailed receipt.
Deadline for registration is 12:00 Noon (EST) the Tuesday before the course begins on Wednesday.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
Accessing your course classroom:
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the "Search Catalog" bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red "Add to Cart" button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the "Continue to Checkout" button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the "Classroom" link to access your course or courses.
Computer & Course Materials Requirements
2015 version, free Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx); or 2010 version if necessary to support your operating system, free Visual Studio 2010 Express (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9709969); Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 (2015 version only), 7 (2010 and 2015 versions), XP or Vista (2010 version only).
Note: This course is not suitable for Macintosh users (unless through software such as Boot Camp, Parallels or the like you can run the Windows OS on your Mac OS X machine). Prior programming education or experience is not a prerequisite.
Students with Visual Basic 2008 will be supported in the Discussion Areas.
One of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)