Computer Education & Training Courses
Learn the key concepts of Structured Query Language (SQL), and gain a solid working knowledge of this powerful and universal database programming language.
In this course, you'll learn about the basic structure of relational databases and how to read and write simple and complex SQL statements and advanced data manipulation techniques. First, you'll learn about the traditional database structure, the structure and history of the relational database, and what structured query language (SQL) is and how it relates to the relational-database structure.
Next, you'll discover how to use SQL to filter retrieved data and how to use SQL to sort and retrieve data from tables. You'll learn how to reformat retrieved data with calculated fields and how to merge columns and create alternate names for columns. You'll also learn how to gather significant statistics from data using aggregate functions, and you'll see how to extract data from multiple tables simultaneously using joins and subqueries. In addition, you'll learn how to manipulate data using the INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements.
We'll also cover how to use SQL to create and maintain tables, and you'll learn how to create and use views to simplify complex queries, summarize data, and manipulate data stored in tables. You'll discover how transaction processing, constraints, and indexes are implemented in SQL. And finally, you'll discover how stored procedures, triggers, and cursors are implemented in SQL.
By the end of this course, you'll have a solid working knowledge of structured query language. You'll feel confident in your ability to write SQL queries to create tables; retrieve data from single or multiple tables; delete, insert, and update data in a database; and gather significant statistics from data stored in a database.REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.PRE-REQUISITES:
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College's Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges, Raleigh on October 15, 1993. The full refund policy is listed in the NC Administrative Code 23NCAC.2D.0203 (d) Brief Statement of Policy:
- A pre-registered extension student who officially withdraws from an extension class(es) prior to the first meeting of the class (should be 24 hours prior) will be eligible for a 100-percent refund by completing an official request form.
- The refund will be 75 percent if requested prior to the 10-percent date of the class(es) meeting.
- No refunds will be given after 10-percent of class meetings.
Registration can be achieved through the Learn FTCC website. When you submit your completed registration, you will receive an e-mailed receipt.
Deadline for registration is 12:00 Noon (EST) the Tuesday before the course begins on Wednesday.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the "Search Catalog" bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red "Add to Cart" button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the "Continue to Checkout" button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the "Classroom" link to access your course or courses.
Computer & Course Materials RequirementsAny type of computer with a Windows Operating System, and any desktop (standalone, not required to run over a server) or client/server (required to run over a server) Database Management System (DBMS) that you are familiar with that supports the execution of Structured Query Language (SQL). Examples include Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, PostgreSQL.
Trial downloads and instructions for Microsoft Access and SQL Server are available in the course.
One of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)