Computer Education & Training Courses
INTERMEDIATE WORDPRESS WEBSITES
Discover how to get the most from websites and blogs built with WordPress, the world's most popular Web page publisher.After reviewing the system's basic features, you'll learn to use an online administrative area that makes creating and updating content as simple as composing an email. Your online visitors will be able to comment on your articles, fill out forms and applications, buy your products, and even make appointments.While WordPress requires no coding, you'll find out how to use simple HTML and CSS to customize a website's appearance. You'll take advantage of the dynamic features known as plugins, which add every imaginable function to your website. And you'll explore how use plugins to turn a site into an ecommerce powerhouse and improve search engine page results.
To take this course, you should have at least some blog or website publishing experience and good computer skills. WordPress also requires a paid hosting account, but the class includes 90-days of completely free hosting with SiteGround, one of only four hosting companies that WordPress recommends.
If you want to build or maintain a professional WordPress website with all the bells and whistles, this course is for you.
Course Revised July 2016REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.PRE-REQUISITES:
If you don't have prior experience with either WordPress or any other Web publishing tools, you should have a strong familiarity with the Internet and good computer skills. Otherwise, we recommend the introductory course, Creating WordPress Websites.INSTRUCTOR: ed2go
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College's Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges, Raleigh on October 15, 1993. The full refund policy is listed in the NC Administrative Code 23NCAC.2D.0203 (d) Brief Statement of Policy:
- A pre-registered extension student who officially withdraws from an extension class(es) prior to the first meeting of the class (should be 24 hours prior) will be eligible for a 100-percent refund by completing an official request form.
- The refund will be 75 percent if requested prior to the 10-percent date of the class(es) meeting.
- No refunds will be given after 10-percent of class meetings.
Enrollment PolicyDeadline for registration is 5:00 P.M. (EST) Wednesday, a week before the course begins.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
Accessing your course classroom:
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the Search Catalog bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red Add to Cart button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the Continue to Checkout button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the Classroom link to access your course or courses.
Computer & Course Materials Requirements
WordPress software is free, but in order to use it, you must have a paid account with a hosting company, which costs approximately $100 a year. The course includes a free 90-day hosting account from SiteGround, which includes a temporary practice site. (This is not available for students who took advantage of this offer in the introductory WordPress class.)
You'll need a computer with broadband Internet access, running any recent version of the Windows or Mac operating systems. We recommend using the Firefox, Chrome, or Safari browsers.
One of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)