Teacher Training Courses
SINGAPORE MATH STRATEGIES: ADVANCED MODEL DRAWING FOR GRADES 6-9
When you say, "It's time for math," do your students roll their eyes? What teacher hasn't dealt with that? It doesn't have to be that way. In this course, you'll master model drawing, a revolutionary technique for teaching problem-solving to middle school math students.
Model drawing is a core part of Singapore Math, a base-10 math program that forms the foundation of math instruction in Singapore. When you introduce model drawing into your classroom, your students will succeed with word problems, build math skills, and develop self-confidence. And they'll even look forward to math!
You'll learn how to use model drawing with many different types of word problems, including part-whole problems, word problems involving comparisons, and before-and-after word problems. You'll also master advanced techniques to help you model more complex problems, and gain insights into how to guide students as they grapple with consecutive integers, remainders, percents, and problems involving rate and distance.
Finally, you'll put it all together as you create your own word problems based on models provided in the course. You'll even learn how to train parents in the basics of model drawing so they can help their kids continue to build their problem-solving skills.
Model drawing worksâand it's fun as well. Get ready to turn your math students into math lovers!
Note: If you are seeking teacher renewal credits or CEU's, please check with your appropriate Professional Development Coordinator.REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.PRE-REQUISITES:
Note: It is recommended that students take the Singapore Math Strategies: Model Drawing for Grades 1 - 6 as a prerequisite for this course.
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College's Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges, Raleigh on October 15, 1993. The full refund policy is listed in the NC Administrative Code 23NCAC.2D.0203 (d) Brief Statement of Policy:
- A pre-registered extension student who officially withdraws from an extension class(es) prior to the first meeting of the class (should be 24 hours prior) will be eligible for a 100-percent refund by completing an official request form.
- The refund will be 75 percent if requested prior to the 10-percent date of the class(es) meeting.
- No refunds will be given after 10-percent of class meetings.
Deadline for registration is 5:00 P.M. (EST) Wednesday, a week before the course begins.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
Accessing your course classroom:
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the Search Catalog bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red Add to Cart button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the Continue to Checkout button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the Classroom link to access your course or courses.
One of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)
Adobe PDF plug-in (a free download obtained at Adobe.com .)