Teacher Training Courses
CONTENT LITERACY: GRADES 6-12
Students must develop literacy skills in order to access, learn, and comprehend. And with the adoption of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), teachers in all subject areasâscience, humanities, history, social sciences, mathematics, and technologyâare finding themselves actively involved in their students' literacy development, including skills in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language. In this course, you'll discover literacy development strategies that will make content come alive for each and every student.
We'll review the new literacy standards to see how they relate to the content areas, and uncover the many ways adolescent development is connected to effective teaching. We'll explore differentiated education and see how easy it can be to deliver content to students at varying levels of literacy development. You'll also see how student learning centers can provide a valuable, real-world model of how content learning and literacy skill development can happen simultaneously in every classroom.
In addition, you'll analyze your current teaching practices to identify the effective literacy development that you're already doing. We'll work together to adapt some of your favorite lessons to enhance reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language development. By the end of the course, you'll be confident in your ability to utilize the best of what's new, keep the best of what you've already got, and enjoy being a great 21st-century teacher!Note: To receive 25 hours of instruction in the State of Oregon, please ensure your school is eligible to issue professional development units, and that the course is approved by your professional learning coordinator. REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College’s Corporate & Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges in Raleigh on October 15, 1993 and updated May 16, 2014. The full refund policy is listed in the State Board of Community Colleges Code 1E SBCCC 900.2 with a brief statement of the policy below:
A pre-registered student who officially withdraws from a Continuing Education class(es) prior to the first section meeting of the class will be eligible for a
refund by completing an official request form. In order to be eligible for a 100 percent refund, it is required that a student’s drop request be made prior to
the first class meeting and FTCC encourages students to request a drop at least 24 hours before the first class meeting.
A 75 percent refund will be given if a student officially withdraws after the start of the class and prior to the 10 percent point of the class. This applies to
all courses except a course that begins and ends on the same day. A refund shall not be granted after the start of a course that begins and ends on the
No refunds will be given after the 10 percent of class meetings.
Registration can be achieved through the Learn FTCC website. When you submit your completed registration, you will receive an e-mailed receipt.
Deadline for registration is 12:00 Noon (EST) the Tuesday before the course begins on Wednesday.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
ACCESSING YOUR COURSE CLASSROOM:
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the ÃÂSearch CatalogÃÂ bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red ÃÂAdd to CartÃÂ button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the ÃÂContinue to CheckoutÃÂ button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the ÃÂClassroomÃÂ link to access your course or courses.
Computer Requirements• Internet access
• One of the following browsers:
o Mozilla Firefox
o Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)
o Google Chrome
• Adobe PDF plug-in (a free download obtained at Adobe.com .)